What To Know About CremationFebruary 13, 2023
Picking an UrnFebruary 27, 2023
When you and your family are planning the funeral for your loved one, you will be tasked with making many decisions. What’s important to remember during this time is that you make these decisions with patience and think about what your needs are. One decision that will be made is that of the headstone or grave marker on your loved one’s grave. There are plenty of choices to choose from, and you and your family should have some idea of what you would like on their grave before you make a final decision. It’s also important to consider what the funeral home you are ordering from offers. Some places will offer other headstones or grave markers that others will not. But you should be able to find what you want. If you and your family need any help, you can contact funeral homes in McMinnville, OR. They would love to help you with any questions you may have regarding headstones and grave markers
What Is a Headstone or Grave Marker?
Headstones and grave markers are a way to mark the grave of someone who has passed away. They can be decorative and elaborate, or they can be plain. But their purpose remains the same: marking where your loved one has been buried in a cemetery.
What Can Go on a Headstone or Grave Marker?
- Name – Probably the most important part of any headstone is making sure that the name of your loved one is on it. You will want to make sure that is also spelled correctly. And depending on the size of the grave marker or headstone you purchase, there may even be room for you to add in a nickname if they had one.
- Dates – Having the date of birth and the date of death are also common things added to headstones and grave markers. Just like the name, you will want to make sure that you have these spelled correctly.
- Symbols – When you go to purchase a grave marker or headstone, and you are putting the final touches, some places will allow you to add symbols if you like. These can be birds, praying hands, crosses, and so much more. It really comes down to a matter of personal taste.
What Types of Headstones and Grave Markers Exist?
- Slant/Flat– These are some of the most popular headstones available. They are thick, sturdy, and meant to withstand any weather condition. And the two variations they come in, slant and flat, are just stylistic choices. The shape neither adds nor takes anything away from the headstone.
- Grave Marker – Grave markers play the same role as a slant or flat headstone, but they are level with the grass. They are flat, low-lying, and only visible until you walk up on them. Despite their lack of height, they are still beautiful. There are several different designs that you can add to them if you want.
- Couple Grave Markers/Headstones – Both of these above options can be made for couples who are buried near one another. It can include both names, dates, and any other information you may want to add to them. This is a great option.
Picking a grave marker or headstone is something you should take your time with. If you need help with your decision, you can contact funeral homes in McMinnville, OR.